Tuesday 13 October 2015

AMD Sapphire R9 390x cool down!



Okay folks so last week I updated to the new Beta drivers which fix a memory leak which was rearing its ugly head in the Star Wars Battlefront Beta. Anyway the post I am writing is regarding temperatures. Now we all know that these cards love to run hot. They are designed to run hot. Since the update though I have noticed mine to be running hotter than normal though and with quick investigations on the web, others are experiencing temps up to 90C. These weren't the Sapphire cards but 390x'sall the same. Mine gets up to about 78C which is hotter than I would like for sure.

So, what the point of this blog, Well I also noticed that with the higher temps performance was dropping on temp spikes. I can only confirm this by eye and have no solid proof as a mark of something link a benchmark to prove.

To cool the card down I went into the Catalyst Control Panel and moved to where you can overclock and adjust the performance of your card.  I dropped the power performance of the card by -20% but left the memory running at 1500Mhz.  My card instantly cooled down to mid 50C to 60C tops when hard core gaming. How did this effect my frame rates? Here the real interesting thing, it did not! My frame rates are the same.  The games I am playing only experienced smoother play as no high temp spikes were causing the AMD card to throttle back.

So I thought I would share this. I do not know the science of this or claim to be a graphics card expert and I am only going from last nights experience....... I will keep you posted if this information is just not valid. Thanks for reading... Hope you guys have similar luck if you are worried about the temps!

No comments:

Post a Comment