Thursday 26 February 2015

Google RANT: Google services are amazing but they dont show it off enough and loose out!




I love Google services and use them daily. It really does annoy me though that it just seems to be missing a way to make this usable to the mass markets. I mean I have everything on here....
I love G+ love G Photos and use Google Keep, Calendar and Mail and Drive hourly but everytime I come to try and explain how to use it to an average user they are lost, confused and often I end up getting confused trying to explain it to them. What's that all about? It really needs a good tutorial video to explain how it all fits together, the power of it all when it is together, and how to use it efficiently for dummies.  

I know they do have some videos out there.... but they need to also sort the notion of "self explanatory". I can name 5 issues that piss me off to explain every time to anyone who is not gadget or technology literate....

1. GMail - Mail is everywhere and labels are the key. 'All mail' is where everything is....labels just break it into your own personal categories. So...being very reliant on labels...why on the Android Gmail app you cannot add or edit labels.... Stupid

2. GPhotos, Albums do not move the photos. Photos are always in All Photos. Albums are just labels to categorise your pics.  It defaults to Highlights... which is awful for understanding what photos you have or have not categorized into Albums. Its just a mess to explain. I have duplicates everywhere because its never up to date with the last thing I managed to label as an "album". It would be nice if they just put a star or something next to a pic thats been already labeled to an album.

3.Hangouts. I love hangouts but the name itself just killed this from being mainstream. I mention hangouts people think its a group forum? They dont even know about conference calling, video chat, normal text chat....sending images plus all the other neat features. How can this just slide under the carpet.... Come on Google... this should be important to you. It makes Skype look weak and Yahoo Messenger and Messenger like they were alpha releases in the late 90's.... (which they were)!

4.Google Page and Blogger. Really superb services again nobody knows about. The editors in both could do with some more functionality and pages (your own personal website) at least easy to find. Turn it into a trend... Dont invent then watch it die? Google have a habit of doing that.

5. Drive. This connects all. I have a ton of stuff in Drive. I use it a lot. People just don't seem to know what it is. I find this amazing... its the most powerful cloud service currently on the planet. They often come back and say..is it like the iCloud?.... f...off is it... Its so superior the two cant be mentioned in the same sentence. So with Docs, Sheets, Drawing and Slides to name a few at your service free of charge I find it amazing people are scared of using it. With thanks to Apple and their shit security people are afraid to use any of these services from Google who has not faltered in the services they provide.



Well thats most of the rant over with.  I feel Google is full of bright ideas. I would love to work for them. I just feel they have one bright idea after the other and forget that people still need to use this stuff. I find too often Google apologizing for closing really good amazing services. (Helpouts, Google Shopper, Reader etc) because they never really explained how good or what these services  provide in a coherent elegant and attractive way. Terrible shame... really the public are killing the apps but its Google's fault that the public are not aware.


I have explained to my parents so many times on how to use their services.... I just cant do it. It is just confusing to them. I hate having to explain how good it is when you understand...........People dont want to try and understand... it should all just be logical and built with thought. Google need a lesson in HCI (Human Computer Interaction).  They also need to effectively reach all audiences and prove why they are KING!  My worst rant of all is f...ing Apple users coming to me and saying "I like the fact mine is simple and I can just use it and it works". I hate Apple with a passion... they are stealing, robbing asses who are swooping up sheep and lost cattle left right and center..... and I am afraid to say...Google..... thats your fault. Sort it out please. I will forever be a fan of Google and Android. I just wish I didn't have to explain why!




LIST OF JUST SOME OF THE SERVICES GOOGLE PROVIDE


Web

  • Search billions of web pages
  • A browser built for speed, simplicity and security
  • Add a search box to your browser
  • Get help on a wide range of topics from experts over live video
  • Access your bookmarks and starred items

Mobile

Business

  • Attract more customers and only pay for results
  • Get email, docs, storage and more, customized for your business

Media

  • Watch, upload and share videos
  • Search the full text of books
  • Search for images on the web
  • Search thousands of news stories
  • Search for videos on the web
  • Find, edit and share your photos

Geo

  • View maps and directions
  • Explore the world from your computer
  • Explore and share photos of the world

Specialized Search

Home & Office

  • Fast, searchable email with less spam
  • Create, share and keep all your stuff in one place
  • Open, edit, and create documents
  • Open, edit, and create spreadsheets
  • Open, edit, and create presentations
  • Build free surveys
  • Create diagrams and flow charts
  • Create websites and secure group wikis
  • Organize your schedule and share events with friends
  • Instantly translate text, web pages, and files between over 50 languages
  • Print anywhere, from any device
  • Save what’s on your mind

Social

  • Real-life sharing, rethought for the web
  • Share your life online with a blog - it's quick, easy and free
  • Create mailing lists and discussion groups
  • Conversations that come to life. Anytime, anywhere, for free

Innovation


  • Developer tools, APIs and resources

No comments:

Post a Comment