Wednesday 25 February 2015

Coding a synchronous backup tool for Linux.


SYNCQUICK UNDER DEVELOPMENT


After a long discussion with my father who required me to remotely access his workstation to monitor a backup which he had done using the Linux Mint Backup Tool we both came to the conclusion that his backups for the last 2 years were worthless.
Was the data worthless....? Absolutely not but the mash up of missing directories and files from a dedicated backup tool which is actually shipped with a major Linux distro was shocking. So after this long discussion I came to the conclusion that if I want a backup program to work and have faith that it will work I would have to develop my own.

Developing my own backup tool? Well after some more though I have decided that rsync is a fabulous tool for backing up and not only backing up but synchronising files. rsync can even do it remotely but I think for my purpose to get things going I will be building a "workstation only" gui interface utilising rsync. I want to keep this simple. I want a user to select his backup directories and a destination and have it synchronise the files. I want all of this to be done in 4 clicks of the mouse.

So development began last night around 1:45am.  More updates will come and obviously you will be free to download the Java application when its hit its first stable and usable build.




No comments:

Post a Comment