Friday 14 August 2015

Sapphire Tri-x upgraded already?



So my wonderful Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X Card is no longer. It lasted one month. Okay, being a bit over-dramatic. It still worked. Basically a bearing in the center fan was faulty and it was no longer spinning true, causing a continues ticking sound and I could see that it would not last too much longer before it seized.  So Amazon being as good as they are refunded me but had no stock to replace the card.



How long is the wait? Over a month from an Amazon supplier. I don't have a month to wait for a replacement. So I started checking other sources. Bearing in mind his card has now been superseded I thought I may get a great deal. Well everywhere was out of stick and the places that were in stock were charging full whack.  For £30 more I could get the newer card. So this is what I did.




I purchased the Sapphire R9 390x TRI-X card with 8Gb of DDR5. (Previous had 4Gb) The performance difference is not huge. In fact their is marginal differences between the cards (slightly higher clock speed, ram speed and obviously double the RAM) but I doubt that 8GB of DDR5 RAM on a card is required by any application anyway.

Regardless of the above mentioned.... I have the new card installed and I am extremely happy. All fans on this card spin perfectly and the card has bumped some frame rates up another 40fps in games.  Mostly irrelevant for anything running over 60fps in my opinion. This card is chucking frame rates out in the 200's. I suppose for 4k gaming I will see benefits. No 4k monitor though.

Anyway... there is the news update.....

No comments:

Post a Comment