Saturday 20 September 2014

Destiny and my opinion

Destiny PS4 Cover
Destiny is a game most have been looking forward too for a long time. We all saw the E3 trailers and the playable demo also held at E3 the following year. The game looked stunning. A project done by the company that brought us Halo, one of the greatest franchise of games in my lifetime.  So this was big, they said it would be big, and the hype for Destiny was electric. Bungie on numerous occasion said that this would change how we play games forever, a new type of game with a new level of detail. It was released on the 9th of September here in the UK.... was it really all that everyone expected and was it anything like Bungie said?  Yes and No....

I have now been playing Destiny a fair bit and feel I have played enough to start to give a little insight to the game. Firstly, I would like to say how there is a huge divide in ownership of this game. From the day of its' release their has been controversial statements made and lots of defensive words made by Bungie.  What? Is the game bad? In my opinion NO. Is it everything Bungie said it would be? No, not that either. Oh! now you see why there is a divide.

I am going to keep this fairly simple and short but at the same time tell you my opinions of the game. Before I started playing I was already somehow roped into the hype and anticipation and some of the let down. I purchased it from Game on pre-order but unfortunately did not get to play it that day. I had neck surgery and was in hospital for a few days. In those few days I read many people complaining about the game and also reviewers assessing the game as low as 6/10. I lay in my hospital bed pretty disappointed at the game which I just paid £55 to play when I got home for my recovery.

Well I was released from hospital and the first thing I did was slide in the Destiny disc into my PS4. The game loaded and my initial impression was WOW..... what a beautiful looking game. What wonderful maps. These game play mechanics are definatly Halo though. It didn't deter me. I was hunting for a story line.... okay... there is one their but I felt that wasn't what this was about so much. Something felt missing.  The weird thing is.... the more I played or hunted for a story or objective the more I became addicted.  I would have given up on any other game....something was working in this. So what was it?

Destiny game picture

I would definitely say the mechanics, physics, and sound all pull you into the game.  I cant tell you how great it feels to be blasting my pulse rifle and running a magazine dry only to finish my enemy off with a throwing knife to the face. How satisfying? 10/10 satisfying.  It makes you feel great. Now the levelling system in the game adds little reward. Your not level 40 by the end of day one playing.... your lucky to be level 5. It's a slow earned process. The enemy ahead can be pretty damn hard and you do feel the need to plough through them to try and find a chest with a weapon which will make your life easier.

Destiny gameplay picture
Another thing I have noticed with this game..... No other game so far on the PS4 has done it... not even Battlefield 4, which I am a fan of. Communication! I have owned my PS4 from day one of it release. I started a new fresh account and kept 2 friends from my previous account to play with.  In my time of playing Battlefield everyone just turns their microphone off. Little to no interaction unless your in a clan, but even then the majority don't communicate, if they do its usually negative and foul mouthed.  I don't communicate in any other game either. Destiny, on the other hand has got this right again. In the last 4 days of playing, I have added more friends than I did in a year of playing other games.  I roam the lands and planets and actually find myself meeting other players and sending them a message to help me clean out a mission, or help me on my patrol of the area.  Players are definitely interested to talk back too. Its teamwork on a new level. As we play many are going about their own business....as me and my new friend blast through. They stop...send a wave and we wave back before continuing on with the slaughter.  People recognise your achievement and your killing skill. This is truly rewarding. We are all working together. It feels right. NO other game has done this that well as Bungie have in Destiny. Something they should be proud of for sure.

So did I find a story? Yes, their is a story in there. I'm not sure this is the game's strong point. I feel they could have taken a bit more out of the Mass Effect series for this.  The story just seems to be a launching platform to help you level up to be able to apply for harder missions.  Before the release, I was lead to believe the story was epic, their trailers certainly suggested this. This was a let down. A let down which did not manage to ruin the game though. I still play. I still come back for more.

So where am I now in the game? I am now about level 18. My character packs a punch as a hunter but I am still easily defeated if I don't pay attention.  I have managed to unlock a few planets to visit and here is another thing which I find myself doing... going back to pre-completed lands to have another go. Set it on a harder level in the hope of getting some great loot but also to see if I can help someone else out in their journey earlier too. A really fantastic way to interact. You get a great feeling of aiding while at the same time being there is beneficial to you. Truly magnificent gameplay in my opinion.

So what's annoyed me with the game? The hype overtook the game. The story could be stronger by a long way...although this will not stop me playing.  I am a little upset that there is no space flight although you can update your ship. Seems a bit pointless.  I do not like the fact that Bungie claimed this was game changing and would re-define our gaming lives.  I am annoyed that it cost £55. I know lots of work goes into these games. I understand from a programmers point of view what is involved but games should only be £40. There is enough fan base for any company to make vast profits at £40. End of story.  These games shouldn't be crippling to a parent or a consumer to purchase especially when their in NO guarantee for you to like the product and demo's are less and less the norm.  But I digress from the actual game. It's not game changing but it is a finished product with no horrible bugs from its' release on day one.

Destiny guardian classes

Let me finish off.....so I can get back playing ;)

The game is a success. Is it game changing? Nope. Is it worth playing? Definitely! Bungie should be proud of this game although they should have re-thought their wording campaign before release. It is beautiful, smooth and a fluid experience. I am gripped to get down to a planets surface and get my teeth into a good battle. I have never wanted to help or interact so much with other players. The game is playable even although the story is weak and lacking.  I feel I'm still in the early stages of the game and later on my experience will only improve.  They didn't re-create gaming for the next gen, no they did not... but what they have done is taken a game idea and set of mechanics and physics we know well and love and gelled it together to make the most complete gaming package in history. It is extremely refined and polished.

As a p.s to all of this...many people have compared this to Borderlands, Mass Effect, Battlefield and Modern Warfare. I can see why..... like I said above... its all what we know from gaming in the last 10 years squashed into one very playable polished game. Buy it (if you can get it cheaper) and enjoy it. Its awesome!

P.S. Played a ton more... now at level 20. Things are getting harder but the enthusiasm is still definitely there :)


No comments:

Post a Comment