Tuesday 23 September 2014

Android Apps which I use daily and why?

My choice of apps on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2




In this I will show you screen shots directly off my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) which will display which applications I have installed. I will explain why I chose the applications I have and maybe one or two could inspire you to use them too.....

Screen shot 1




Android screenshot
  • Adobe Reader - Why use anything else to view pdf files. Its an Adobe standard!
  • Airdroid - Conveniently hook up to your phone through a wireless connection from your PC. Send and receive files between the two mediums and easily send texts from your laptop and so much more. This app is a must for me.
  • Amazon - It is just a great way to compare prices and easy to shop from. Not always the best deal but their services are second to none.
  • Android IRC for SlimRoms -  Non essential irc chat program for people who use SlimRoms. Me. Its on all my phones
  • Blogger - Well I write a blog so this is the official app to do this from my phone. It is not great but it's something.
  • Bluetooth File Transfer - Just in case I have to send something to an old old phone or my mom's IPhone.
  • Browser - Do not use it. Use Chrome
  • Calculator - Everyone uses one at some point
  • Calendar - Synced with Google keeps me from missing nearly everything.
  • Camera - Takes good snaps but I prefer Google Camera which is the next Icon
  • Changelog Droid - See what updates happened and actually what changed with the app.
  • Chrome - Definitely my browser of choice. Plenty of pro coders at Google only making it better too.
  • Clinometer - Pretty much a bubble level tool which is very handy around the house.
  • Clock - Time / World Time / Countdown Timer / Alarms
  • Dev Tools - When I need in depth info about my phone for development purposes
  • Device Manager - A tool to remotely wipe your phone, track your phone and call your phone if you have misplaced it or it was stolen.
  • Docs - Google Docs are a fantastic creation. Carry your documents and make documents on the fly.
  • DSP Manager - I don't really use this.
  • eBay - Who doesnt like to bid. Always have used the official app even although alternatives are available. 
  • Elite Companion - Is for the upcoming game Elite Dangerous. If you dont know what I am talking about read my Beta Test review here on my blog http://unleashedcode.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/elite-dangerous-not-ready-but-obviously.html
  • Email - I no longer use any email apps other than gmail.





android screenshot 2
  • ES File Explorer - Simply the most powerful and usable file explorer fro Android. 
  • Facebook - The facebook app is the genuine app. I would like an alternative but unfortunately every alternative I have tried fell short. I used to use Klyph but it is no longer supported.
  • Feedly - This is what I used ever since Greader went down the pan. Best news reader out there and with a great interface.
  • Flib - A simple conversion program but is asthetically pleasing even if it is a little confusing
  • Flixster - Great app to see what films are good and what films are flops.... Can save you 2 hours at a time ;)
  • Gallery - The standard gallery app for local (phone based) photos.
  • GMail- My only mail system. Dont bother with any others
  • Google+ - Considerably a better platform and design to Facebook for social networking. Even although Facebook ha a greater audience.
  • Gumtree - Basically free ads on your phone. See whats local and pick up a bargain.
  • Hangouts - A brilliant app by google. I use this religiously and speak to people in all parts of th world on video chat for free on my phone and laptop
  • IGN - Good to keep up to date with the latest in games. Not always the best for reviews though
  • Keep - Google keep is my favourite of all apps at the moment. I have it on my laptop and on my phone. Any shopping list or quick note is added and I can see it on either platform.
  • Maps - You cant knock Google... their maps are simply far superior to anyone elses. The information included in this one app is astonishing. Its incredible.
  • Messaging - Send a text
  • Messanger - Facebooks messenger service. Compulsory by Facebook and not many people are happy about it having to be a seperate app on their phone. I am one of them. Shocking!
  • News and Weather - Goggle's news and weather app. Of some use sometimes.
  • Nova Settings (Nova Launcher) - My Launcher screen and standard with SlimRoms. Really a very good experience all round.
  • PayPal - Check my PayPal account and pay for things from the convenience of my phone.
  • Photos - Google photos shows local phone based photos and pictures in your Drive and Google + albums. great app but could be improved.

android screenshot 3
  • PlayStore - Goggle play store for downloading apps, music, books and more
  • PlayStation - This is the official PlayStation app which links to your PS4 and you can view your accounts and messages
  • reddit - I occasionally use reddit as it is a good source for finding articles or pictures of the unusual
  • Sheets - Google Sheets is the spreadsheet of choice on a mobile. Completely compatible with most formats and saves to your Drive. Handy, handy tool.
  • Sky+ - This is so I can see what's on TV. Also lets me remotely record programs that I do not want to miss. You need a Sky Plus account to use this app.
  • TapaTalk - One of the best apps if you regularly read forums. Forums can be slightly hard to read on small screens and this app eliminated that problem. Great app.
  • Torch - Saved me a few trips in the night. Highly reccomended.
  • Tumblr - A really good blog/photo site. You can search for almost anything on Tumblr and get many hits back with content. I use this app a lot.
  • Wifi Analyser - This is one of my most helpful tools. Making sure I am not on the same channel as others and making sure my wifi remains problem free around the house.
  • YouTube - We all know and love YouTube....except for the adverts! Still we all use it daily.

* Please note you may have noticed that some apps were not included but are on the screenshot. This is because I didn't feel those apps needed any explanation as they are standard on almost every Android phone.
** Please also note since the writing of this I lost my patience with the Facebook app with its decision to force you to download another messenger app which is extremely invasive on your screen. Although it is not perfect it is the best I can find  for now is FriendCaster. It is the closest we will get to the all out app in in many ways better. Just misses a couple of features like editing after a post has been published.

No comments:

Post a Comment