Saturday 18 October 2014

Choosing an IDE for my Java Application development....


Okay folks, this is a quick post. I have been sitting here for the last day and a half deciding on which IDE I would like to use for creating a small Java Application. I want to write a security program called FileKiller. More on the app later.... For now what were my choices of IDE?

I occasionally code for android and use the Android Studio platform. This platform has come a long way since it's beginning only a year ago. The Android Studio has been coded and ported from the IntelliJ IDEA (www.jetbrains.com) community. I really do like this IDE for Android so I installed it on my Linux laptop without hesitation. Unfortunately it seems for simple Java Swing development it is overly complicated and took a long time to set up to even begin coding.  They also have a unique way and structure in dealing with Java projects that you create. It was not long before I was looking for a quicker more straight forward solution as I am not a heavy developer. I may return to this IDE at a later date.

Everyone knows of Eclipse, Eclipse has been the IDE of choice for multiple programming languages, it is heavily supported and there are a bunch of docs and community aid online.  I have used it before and it's known for having a couple of weird bugs here and there which can be frustrating if you do not know all of them. Thus, you can be looking at fault in your code for days to finally find out that the null pointer exception was a compiler error (might be a poor example but think this has happened to me on several occasions). I also do not like the feel of Eclipse visually or intricate design layout.. So Eclipse is a bit like Marmite. You love it or hate scenario. I am impressed with it...but I don't enjoy to use it.

NetBeans is what I have ended up with. There are others to choose from but it just seemed logical to myself to use a dedicated Java Platform IDE for developing a Java Swing Applications. I have installed it as I did with the other two and found I was rooted into coding my new app instantly. It looks like a basic IDE and it seems to have all the features of both mentioned above for what I am doing, I also managed to get started, designing and coding my app within minutes of installation. I was at least one hour on each other platform before I even started to look at coding. No imports or plugins needed just a raw coding platform with a GUI designer. Simple.  I downloaded the latest version as the one Ubuntu have in their repositories is ancient. Years old.... sort it out Ubuntu. So hats off to my new IDE of choice NETBEANS! You made things easy and I am enjoying coding together my app. Wish I only had more of a clue about Java.  Referencing has become a 3 minute habit.  Brain is fried.



FILE KILLER Alpha .007 in development.

Quick note about File Killer. I will be releasing this app on the GNU public license. The application will take in files that you wish to be terminated from your computer forever. No return, not with the best techs out there. My app will kill that file, and all that ever remained on that part of your HD. Using the choice of pfitzner7, pfitzner33, gutman35, USArmy AR380-19, and DoD 5229.22M security to destroy the files and their locations on your disk.  A real way to destroy info off an HD before you throw it to the trash.  I expect Beta 0.1 will be out in a month and will be posted here!

No comments:

Post a Comment